Wednesday’s hockey game was an emotional one for fans at Central City plaza.

Canucks: What a wild ride it’s been

Surrey RCMP officers sent to Vancouver to help with riot; events in this city were peaceful.

In contrast to the post-game riots in Vancouver, officials in this city say the fans in Surrey were peaceful.

A crowd of between 6,000 and 7,000 people at Surrey’s Stanley Cup celebration site in Central City plaza was well-behaved, and began to trickle out when the Vancouver Canucks began to lose to the Boston Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final Wednesday night.

The usual ad-hoc group which meets at 72 Avenue and Scott Road failed to materialize because of the team’s loss.

In fact, shortly after the game, Surrey RCMP deployed more than 100 of its 158 officers dedicated to crowd control to downtown Vancouver, where things quickly spiralled out of control.

Almost right after the game, people began throwing bottles at the big screen TV put up by Vancouver, then engaged in fighting, lighting garbage cans and cars on fire, turning over vehicles, and looting stores.

Images captured by media and by individuals using cameras and cellphones were quickly broadcast widely.

The hunt is now on to identify the perpetrators of the orgy of destruction.

Metro Vancouverites quickly banded together on social media, vowing to out the offenders, pooling photos and video captured during Wednesday night’s riot.

Many of those responsible made no attempt to hide their faces, sometimes mugging for photos that were widely shared online.

They show young men overturning vehicles, removing merchandise and stuffing a rag into the gas tank of a police car.

The site allows users to browse photos and identify rioters and looters by their Facebook name. Photos and names are sent to the Vancouver Police Department once multiple users have made a positive ID.

Multiple Facebook pages also urge followers to identify perpetrators from photos shared there. (See and

More than 130 people were treated for tear gas or pepper spray exposure and mostly minor injuries.

Rioters smashed windows and looted stores, including The Bay and London Drugs.

Another Facebook group sprang up to help coordinate clean-up efforts Thursday morning.

The costs of the damage and police work in Vancouver were still being tallied Thursday, after The Leader’s press deadline.

dejected fansIn Surrey, there were no costs being attributed to damage, however, there was a price to ensuring the local events were peaceful.

Surrey racked up close to $500,000 in policing costs during the Canucks playoff series.

The price is much higher than earlier estimates, but police say that’s been the cost of keeping the public safe, particularly with the crushing crowds and traffic that traditionally gathered at 72 Avenue and Scott Road.

Surrey RCMP Cpl. Drew Grainger was reviewing the overtime submissions on Wednesday afternoon, just hours before Game 7.

“All the overtime is just coming in,” Grainger said. “Right now we’re looking at $40,000 per game in round four with the resources we’re throwing at it.”

That’s $280,000 for the Boston series alone, and adding in the previous three series, the total is about $500,000.

Mayor Dianne Watts was a little skeptical when she heard of the final costs.

“On the surface of it, it sounds extraordinarily high,” Watts said.

She said Thursday morning that Surrey would not be looking to Vancouver to cover any of the costs of sending Mounties to that city.

“There certainly was a regional response to assist VPD,” Watts said. “I want to certainly mention and acknowledge those police officers that put themselves in harm’s way that were injured.”

One police officer from Surrey suffered a head injury and she is expected to make a full recovery.

“These individuals that incite rioting are criminals undertaking criminal acts and they should be absolutely prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Watts said.

– with files from Jeff Nagel

Surrey North Delta Leader

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: The day 28,000 Lollapalooza-goers rocked Cloverdale in 1994

Fans share memories of drugs, bad Smashing Pumpkins, Nick Cave walk-off and ‘letdown’ of Surrey date

Surrey veteran feels pinch from COVID-19 after cancelled surgery

Caught between two countries, and low income, soldier feels he’s been forgotten

Surrey parents, students navigate remote learning during COVID-19

The Surrey school district teachers are slowly rolling out plans for new way of educating

Two people fined for trying to re-sell N95 and surgical masks in Delta

Police confiscated over 5,000 masks and are working with Fraser Health to see them put to good use

Peace Arch News ad sparks discussion about value of community newspapers

White Rock resident hopes front-page note shines light on revenue loss during COVID-19 crisis

VIDEO: ‘Used gloves and masks go in the garbage,’ says irked B.C. mayor

Health officials have said single-use gloves won’t do much to curb the spread of COVID-19

Sex workers face new risks during COVID-19 pandemic

‘Desperation has kicked in’ for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help

Unclear if Cowichan couple refusing to self-isolate will face penalty

No fines or charges have been laid to date, including Cowichan couple who won’t self isolate

COVID-19: Postponed surgeries will be done, B.C. health minister says

Contract with private surgical clinic to help clear backlog

Vancouver man, 21, charged after mother found dead in Squamish home

Ryan Grantham, 21, has been charged with second-degree murder

Fraser Valley’s tulips fields off limits to visitors due to COVID-19

Abbotsford and Chilliwack tulip farmers have announced their festival season won’t go ahead

Don’t stop going to the doctor, just do it virtually: B.C. association

Doctors encourage patients to access telephone, online visits

Most Read