Victory Memorial Park assistant general manager Don Calder shows one style of the bronze markers that have been stolen from grave markers – including the two shown below – in recent weeks.

Cemetery boosts security in wake of South Surrey vase thefts

Bronze flower vases stolen from gravesites at South Surrey's Victory Memorial Park will be replaced.

Families whose loved ones’ grave-sites were desecrated by thieves this month will have the stolen bronze flower vases replaced at no cost.

Officials at Victory Memorial Park say they are also boosting security on the 36-acre South Surrey grounds in response to the thefts, and are appealing to scrap-metal dealers to be on the lookout for anyone trying to sell the containers.

“Unfortunately, the theft of bronze from cemeteries is an issue really right across North America,” Bob Linklater, the park’s general manager, said Tuesday.

“As the price of metal continues to rise, unfortunately so does the theft of those type of metals.”

Peace Arch News reported Tuesday that police are investigating the theft of nearly 50 of the vases, 17 of which were noted to have disappeared overnight Aug. 21.

Grave markers targetedLinklater and assistant manager Don Calder were first alerted to the problem about three weeks ago, after grounds crews started noticing vases missing from random grave markers. The majority of those targeted are in an area of the park, at 14831 28 Ave., that is more forested than the rest.

“As of (Tuesday), there were 46 missing,” Calder said Wednesday.

He noted most have been taken “in the cover of darkness,” with culprits even going so far as to take vases currently in use, casting aside flowers that families have placed to honour their loved ones.

“Families look at this as something very personal. Someone that they dearly loved died. This monument, this marker, represents that person, and now someone comes along and steals part of that,” Calder said.

He suspects whoever is behind the thefts arrived on foot, taking from random sites in the belief the crime might go unnoticed.

He and Linklater said it would be challenging to cart away more than a few of the vases at a time. Standing about 10 inches tall, each weighs four to five pounds.

“They’re heavy, they’re not something you’re going to carry in your pocket or in your jacket,” Linklater said.

The retail value of the stolen vases is estimated “in the tens of thousands of dollars.”

At press time Wednesday, Allen Seto, yard manager of ABC Recycling, told Peace Arch News that a woman brought an unusual number of the “quite valuable” vases to his Surrey site last week – enough to prompt him to report the cache to police.

“Company policy is if we suspect any stolen product it’s got to be reported,” Seto said.

He doesn’t know if the vases are the same ones taken from Victory Memorial but described the fact that they could have been stolen from grave markers anywhere as “somewhat appalling.”

“It’s crossing a line, and that’s a pretty thick line,” Seto said.

As of PAN’s press deadline, no arrests had been made.

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts could not be reached to comment on the issue, regarding the effectiveness of provincial and city laws that were enacted as recently as mid-2012 to help curb the problem.

Anyone with information that could help identify those behind the thefts is asked to call Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Task force brainstorms on support for Semiahmoo homeless community

Community service providers gather to discuss options for housing, income safety and more

Two people reportedly sent to hospital after two-vehicle collision in Surrey

Collision happened on the 16500-block of 64 Avenue

South Surrey couple donates $250K to students in honour of late son

Joseph Chung Scholarship Fund helps out 100 post-secondary students

Surrey RCMP investigate report of explosion at home

‘Emotionally elevated’ person taken ‘safely’ into custody: police

Surrey tells Uber to cease operations in city, but company ‘respectfully’ declines

Ridesharing company told to stop operating within the city by 9 p.m. Jan. 24

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

Coronavirus concerns cause cancellation of Langley Lunar New Year celebration

Close to 1,000 were expected to attend the annual Live In Langley event on Saturday

Second earthquake in two days strikes near Agassiz

A 2.6-magnitude recorded Saturday morning

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Most Read