During the month of August, the City of Surrey sent notices to homeowners of 175 illegal suites in East Clayton. Owners have six months to comply. (File photo)

Clayton suites need to be ‘legalized immediately’ says Landlord BC

Housing association and Landlord BC urge City of Surrey to consider parking permit program

The city is being urged by two more groups to axe its plan to decommission illegal suites in East Clayton.

On Thursday, the BC Non-Profit Housing Association (BCNPHA) and Landlord BC issued a release urging the city to reconsider its decision. So far, the City of Surrey has ordered 175 homeowners to remove illegal suites.

This comes after a petition that has garnered 2,200 signatures was launched against the city’s move. A group has also formed, said to be made up of tenants and home owners, who are against the decision.

See also: Surrey cracks down on illegal suites in Clayton

See also: Crackdown on illegal suites in Clayton immoral, says Surrey landlord

“This is a watershed moment,” said Landlord BC CEO David Hutniak. “The density model in Clayton Heights is the model for the future so there is a certain irony that instead of focusing on housing Surrey families, we’re focusing on their cars. These secondary suite units need to be legalized immediately and the community needs to stop the finger-pointing and place people before cars.

“LandlordBC looks forward to working with all stakeholders to find appropriate solutions including enhanced transit and growth in new purpose-built rental housing,” he added.

The two groups say they met with Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner last week to discuss alternative ways to deal with the issue and agreed to a number of approaches. According to the press release, that included the need to continue advocating for better transit infrastructure and investments in the neighbourhood, re-examining a residential parking permit program, reinforcing the need to better utilize on-site parking and limiting the number of cars per household that can park on-street, and working together to build new purpose built market and non-market rental housing.

Mayor Linda Hepner was not immediately available for comment.

BCNPHA CEO Kishone Roy said it’s important to “work together to ensure we protect our existing supply of rental housing” in the midst of an affordable housing crisis, “most of which is found in the secondary market.”

“For the first time in a generation, we have all three levels of government eager to partner with the community housing sector to meet existing and future affordable housing demand, so real solutions to the affordable housing crisis are on the way,” Roy added.

More to come.

See also: Surrey Council asks staff to work with tenants in illegal Clayton suites

See also: HOME SUITE HOME: Surrey woman running non-profit says suite crackdown ‘cruel, unrealistic’



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Amy on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Surrey officer-impersonation scam continues ‘almost daily’

Police reiterate warning that demands for Bitcoin in exchange for waived charges are fraudulent

Surrey-area associations gear up for hockey restart

But it’s not yet clear when city-operated rinks and rec centres will reopen

Proposed Marine Drive zone aims to make use of small lots ‘more efficient’

CR-3A zone discussed during White Rock’s first virtual public information meeting

Rugby practices to return to Lower Mainland fields this fall

B.C. Rugby announced its return to play plan July 7

South Surrey bottle-depot owner calls for decorum among customers

Heimin Lee said his Semiahmoo recycling facility has been ‘like a war zone’ since Easter

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Vancouver double homicide leads to arrest in Harrison Hot Springs Wednesday

VPD and RCMP tracked dumped vehicle connected to killings to Chilliwack

Indigenous leader Ed John pleads not guilty to historical sex charges

Ed John’s lawyer entered the plea by telephone on behalf of his client

Woman who talked to unconscious husband for 30 years gets solace from B.C. study

Ian Jordan suffered a head injury when he and another officer were on their way to a call in Victoria in September 1987

RCMP investigate threat against Indigenous totem poles on B.C.’s Sunshine Coast

Police describe the nature of the threat as ‘sensitive’

Thief steals bucket truck in Abbotsford while worker is 20 feet in air

Employee is able to jump to safety after suspect drives into pole

Investigation clears RCMP in incident where man fell from Langley overpass

‘Officers acted commendably and placed themselves at risk’ police watchdog report finds

Ex-Okanagan Mountie forfeits 20 days’ pay after sexual misconduct review

A former Vernon RCMP constable made sexual comments, grabbed genitals of male officer in two incidents 10 years ago

Rural Chilliwack residents asked to stay indoors, lock doors amid heavy police presence

Heavy police presence in rural Chilliwack neighbourhood as RCMP contend with ‘serious situation’

Most Read