On Sunday afternoon, Sandy Zalit let her horses out into the field to graze while she brought a load of hay in to the barn. She had just begun to unload it when she noticed smoke coming from the trailer — the hay was smoldering.
In mere moments, the hay caught fire and spread to the barn.
The barn, along 184th Street, is well-known to many in the community for the friendly horses that call it home. When fire crews arrived at around 3:30 p.m., the barn was completely engulfed in flames.
Firefighters worked for several hours to extinguish hay bales, and 184th Street was closed for several hours as they worked.
After the blaze, Sandy Zalit took to social media to give thanks for the help she received.
“So thankful and grateful to the Lord, the firemen and all the kind people who stopped to show concern and offer help as we watched an old icon go up in flames today,” she wrote. “Our 30 year old horse ‘barn’ was gone in what seemed like moments.”
The horses, she reassured, were all fine.
“The horses were in the field the whole time,” she said. “Completely unfazed.”
Today, the Zalit family is concentrating on finding out what is and is not covered by insurance. One day soon, they will plan to rebuild.