Police on scene in South Surrey in 2014.

Communications breakdown delayed paramedics in 2014 killing

But Surrey's fire chief says a lot has changed since the 2014 murder

New details have emerged surrounding the response to an early-morning attack in South Surrey that killed 15-year-old Dario Bartoli in 2014.

A letter from Surrey Fire Chief Len Garis obtained by Vancouver radio station CKNW under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act cites “serious concerns” with B.C. Ambulance Service response on the night that took the life of the popular Earl Marriott student.

In the letter, to Provincial Health Services Authority executive vice-president Linda Lupini, Garis said police were on hold for approximately three minutes in their first call to B.C. Ambulance Service. RCMP officers later called again to request an emergency response “because they could not hear or confirm any ambulance or fire service first responder responses.”

Police then called Surrey Fire Service, which arrived on the scene, according to the Jan. 20, 2015 letter, which was partially redacted and did not include response time. (Lupini told Peace Arch News this week that paramedics arrived 20 minutes after being called.)

“The potential for variance and gaps in the expectations does cause concern, lack of confidence and potentially create liabilities for all parties,” reads the letter, which the city initially refused to release, according to CKNW.

In the early morning hours of Dec. 13, 2014, an altercation took place in or near Bakerview Park at 18 Avenue and 154 Street, leaving Bartoli with critical injuries. Bartoli was transported to Peace Arch Hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

No one has been charged in the murder.

Reached Monday, Garis told Peace Arch News that what was a problem then isn’t a problem now.

“What I articulated in that letter was something that we believed to be systemic,” he said. “There’s been an awful lot of water that’s gone under the bridge to correct that.

“Clearly an awful lot has changed since then, and I’m not wanting to be an instrument or conduit for regenerating a very difficult and challenging time for everybody that was involved in it.”

http://webpapersadmin.bcnewsgroup.com/portals/uploads/whiterock/.DIR288/Dario1.jpg

Garis said more changes are needed in the “ever-evolving” nature of communities and emergency response needs.

“The growth of calls is steady, and it’s becoming somewhat worrisome. Recognizing that, there’s more changes needed.”

Lupini, whose Provincial Health Services Authority supports the BC Ambulance Service, said the letter prompted a review, and three additional ambulances have since been added in Surrey – improving response times.

“We’re in a continuous improvement process all the time… and we do feel the whole call processing, our work with Surrey Fire and adding additional resources has created a better situation,” she said Monday.

Lupini said it took paramedics 20 minutes to arrive. They spent approximately 13 minutes stabilizing Bartoli before transferring him to hospital – which took another three minutes.

“When we did the review, we may have been able to get there earlier than that,” she said. “We don’t really know whether getting there earlier by pulling a car off another call… would have made a difference, but we did see that we might have been able to do that and we felt perhaps we should have.”

Lupini said the incident has been used as a case study for officials – with permission from Bartoli’s mother June Iida – to improve response process.

Iida declined to comment Monday.

Since her son’s death she has launched the Dario Bartoli Movement, a project aimed at installing cameras and lights in city parks.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Video tribute to KPU’s spring grad class also honours Andrew Petter, Bill Wright

‘We still want to celebrate our graduates, their achievements, and their resilience’

Surrey baseball association loses ‘a true giant’ in Bruce Lawson

Longtime volunteer ‘always gave his heart and soul to Surrey Canadian and the game of baseball’

Surrey School District forecasts up to 30 per cent of students will return to class this week

Education Minister Rob Fleming said on June 1, about 60,000 B.C. children returned to school

Clover Valley Beer Festival cancelled

Cloverdale beer fest falls victim to COVID-19

South Surrey’s Darts Hill Garden Park to re-open – by appointment

City of Surrey-run garden will be open to visitors Thursday through Saturday

B.C. records four new COVID-19 cases, Abbotsford hospital outbreak cleared

Four senior home outbreaks also declared over, eight still active

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

We’re asking you to lock arms with us, as we look to better days ahead

RCMP, coroner investigate murder-suicide on Salt Spring Island

Two dead, police say there is no risk to the public

About 30% of B.C. students return to schools as in-class teaching restarts amid pandemic

Education minister noted that in-class instruction remains optional

Trudeau avoids questions about anti-racism protesters dispersed for Trump photo-op

Prime minister says racism is an issue Canadians must tackle at home, too

B.C.’s Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics goes virtual

The annual event partnering RCMP with Special Olympians is dramatically altered by COVID-19

Bateman program encourages people to sketch outside, connect with nature

#MyNatureSketch initiative encourages Canadians to become ‘bright-eyed three year olds’

Be cautious expanding COVID-19 bubble, Dr. Bonnie Henry tells B.C.

Senior homes stay off-limits as schools, businesses reopen

Most Read