More Surrey violence

SURREY – It was another violent weekend in Surrey.

A 20-year-old Surrey man is accused of stabbing his 23-year-old brother three times in the upper body during a family fight near 101st Avenue and 156th Street on Sunday morning.

The victim suffered a serious stab wound to the neck and was rushed to hospital but is expected to recover. Police are recommending that his brother be charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. Their names have not been released.

Meanwhile, somebody shot at a bus at least four times at 12:11 a.m. Sunday, at King George Boulevard and Fraser Highway. Nobody was injured and no suspects have been identified.

On Saturday, at about 6 a.m. a black Dodge Charger smashed into a hydro pole at the corner of 72nd Avenue and 140th Street. Witnesses told police the driver didn’t appear to be injured as he took off. The hydro pole fell to the ground, causing a power outage in the area. Police are also investigating if the Dodge had been in a hit-and-run crash earlier Saturday.

While emergency crews were working, a Jeep Cherokee sped through the scene, forcing them to jump out of its path. No one was injured. The Jeep was abandoned nearby and police are still searching for the driver.

Also on Saturday, at 6:30 a.m., police were called to 134th Street and 81st Ave., near Newton elementary, after a 41-year old man, known to police, was found lying beside the road. The paramedics were not able to revive him. An autopsy was to be held Monday.

Surrey RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet said Monday that "there’s nothing suspicious attached to this yet."

Meantime, police are reviewing surveillance videos after a security guard chased off a group of teenagers who "swarmed" a 14-year-old Surrey girl at an area in Newton known as "The Grove," just metres from where Julie Paskall was killed this past December, at about 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Paquet said the girl had been invited by a friend to hang out with some people she didn’t know. A girl in the group challenged the victim to a fight and then punched her in the face, Paquet said. When she fell the other teens – boys and girls – jumped on her and kicked her.

Paquet said some of the teens have been identified. A boy was arrested and a girl was "detained," he said.