Armed officers respond to the scene of a home invasion in South Surrey in November 2013.

Murder charges dropped in South Surrey home-invasion

Accused in death of 44-year-old Corey Bennett pleads guilty to manslaughter.

A lack of “good evidence” in the case against two men charged in the home-invasion death of Corey Bennett two years ago in South Surrey has resulted in one pleading guilty to a lesser offence, and charges against the other being abandoned.

“It just really was a reassessment of the evidence that we have,” prosecutor David Simpkin explained this week of the evolution of charges against Donald James Chad Jr. to manslaughter from murder. “This isn’t something that happened overnight.”

Chad was facing trial for murder in B.C. Supreme Court in connection with Bennett’s November 2013 death.

Bennett, 44, was pronounced dead in hospital following a late-night incident that police described as a “targeted home invasion” at a house in the 2600-block of King George Boulevard.

Chad and co-accused Mathieu Rene Bernard were arrested about two weeks later; Bernard was charged with manslaughter.

Both men were also charged with “where a firearm is used in the commission.”

Simpkin said the charges against Bernard were stayed outright “a couple months ago.”

Chad, who has been in custody since his arrest, pleaded guilty to manslaughter using a firearm – along with a second firearm offence – on Aug. 21.

As a result of the plea, the murder charge against Chad was stayed in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster last week.

Simpkin said both police and Bennett’s family were involved in the decision, which he described as “the right thing to do.”

Sentencing submissions are to be heard Nov. 10 in Surrey Provincial Court.

 

Just Posted

Surrey, Santa Claus is coming to town with lighted trucks

Special events in Cloverdale and Surrey Civic Plaza on Dec. 2

A ‘Peter Pan’-to opens in Surrey this week, and tickets are being snapped up

Show at Surrey Arts Centre is produced by FVGSS, A Musical Theatre Company

Fire destroys home in Surrey

Crews called at 3 a.m. Sunday for a residential house fire on the 12000-block of 100 Avenue

Operation Red Nose returns for 17th year in Delta, Richmond

Last year the program saw 358 volunteers come together to offer rides to those in need

Mariners, Orcas win Fraser Valley volleyball championships

South Surrey senior teams to head to provincial championships next week

Six students arrested, charged in sex assault probe at Toronto all-boys school

The school’s principal, Greg Reeves, described the video of the alleged sexual assault as ‘horrific’

Canada Post ‘cooling off’ period won’t resolve postal dispute, says CUPW

CUPW national president Mike Palecek says the union isn’t holding rotating strikes to harm the public

Calgary city council votes to shut down bid for 2026 Winter Games

More than half of those who went to the polls voted ‘no’ to bidding for the games

Union offers support following B.C. mine death

Death of B.C. mine worker described as a wake up call for industry

Canadian Armed Forces to change approach to sexual assault investigations

New program aimed at a more open and transparent process, will consult with civilians, health and law professionals

‘N’ driver clocked going 51 km/hr over the speed limit

Port Moody police say the car was sent to the impound lot

Death of 38-year-old Fernie man at B.C. coal mine under investigation

Vehicle collision occurred at approximately 10:45 a.m. Sunday morning

Breathing polluted air during pregnancy may increase odds of baby having autism: SFU study

Study looked at nearly all births in Metro Vancouver between 2004 and 2009

Most Read