A team of volunteers from North Langley Community Church dropped by Langley Lodge during the outbreak to say thanks to frontline workers for all they did during the long-term care centre’s COVID outbreak. (Special to Langley Advance Times)

A team of volunteers from North Langley Community Church dropped by Langley Lodge during the outbreak to say thanks to frontline workers for all they did during the long-term care centre’s COVID outbreak. (Special to Langley Advance Times)

Report raises questions about COVID outbreak that killed 25 seniors at Langley Lodge

CEO defends leaked document that’s igniting queries about BC’s most deadly COVID outbreak

Mistakes were made, but a 30-page report addressing B.C.’s most deadly coronavirus outbreak this spring at Langley Lodge was not intended to lay blame or point fingers, according to its author.

The report by Debra Hauptman, chief executive officer (CEO) of the long-term seniors care home on 204th Street in Langley City, was leaked to some Lower Mainland media. It chronicles the ordeal, and brings into question some of the protocols put in place and steps taken during two COVID-19 outbreaks at the centre that claimed the lives of 24 people directly and one indirectly.

“The intent of the report is to share our experience with other operators, to inform planning for further outbreaks, and for a potential second wave in the fall,” Hauptman said Thursday, defending her report.

“The intent of the report was not to shift blame or responsibility to other partners for events that unfolded during our outbreak,” she elaborated.

“It does highlight discovery of unanticipated impacts of COVID-19 in a long-term care home, and those discoveries led to responsive actions in a massive, coordinated effort to contain the spread of the virus,” Hauptman said.

RELATED: Langley Lodge reports one new COVID-19 death, bringing total to 24

Langley Lodge is a contracted long-term care facility operated by Langley Care Society, with about 140 residents and 150 staff.

It was hit with the first coronavirus outbreak at the end of March, when a staff member was diagnosed. That outbreak was declared over on April 23. Then the second outbreak was reported on April 28, during which 51 residents were diagnosed with COVID. Two dozen died, while 27 residents recovered. Since then, however, one of the patients who survived the virus has also succumbed to advanced dementia.

At one point, part way through the second outbreak in late May, Fraser Health took charge of the outbreak response at the seniors care home, sending in a germ-killing machine and a health authority director to oversee the pandemic response.

RELATED: Fraser Health takes charge of COVID response at Langley Lodge

“Langley Lodge is appreciative of the support from Fraser Health during our outbreak. The infection prevention and control specialists, added staffing support and overall pandemic coordination was necessary and the significant resources lead to a resolution of the outbreak,” said the CEO.

Hauptman said she wrote the report to “document the story and experience of a COVID-19 outbreak in Langley Lodge, a historical development in the organization’s 45 year history serving seniors in the South Fraser region.”

The report apparently offers a time frame of the events, a detailed overview of the incident, and some criticisms of how things were handled during the outbreak.

Langley Advance Times has requested a copy of the report from the non-profit organization overseeing operation of Langley Lodge. We have not, however, been among the media approaching staff and public in the centre’s parking lot.

“As Dr. Bonnie Henry mentions frequently, we are in this together, we are learning, and we are adapting as we move through this pandemic,” Hauptman said. “Certainly there were challenges and frustrations, yet there was resolution of the outbreak. This should create hope for other long-term care operators.”

RELATED STORIES:

• Canada Day serenade planned for Langley Lodge residents

• Langley Lodge’s deadly outbreak declared over

• Death toll rises in COVID-19 outbreak at Langley Lodge

• COVID claims 23rd Langley Lodge patient, making it the deadliest outbreak in B.C.

• Langley Lodge ordered to swab all residents staff, new cases discovered

• Stay tuned for more, as it comes available

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: news@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

CoronavirusLangleySeniors

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Traffic was tied up at the intersection of Scott and Old Yale Roads in North Surrey on Tuesday afternoon, after a semi truck hauling a load of pipes flipped while making a turn. (Shane MacKichan photos)
VIDEO: Semi hauling load of pipes flips in North Surrey intersection

Traffic near Scott and Old Yale Roads tied up by Tuesday afternoon incident

Sheila Malcolmson, B.C.’s minister of mental health and addictions (Screen shot)
Minister of mental health tells Surrey audience COVID-19 ‘has made everything worse’

More than 23,000 people in B.C. are receiving medication to treat opioid addiction

Farmers raise slogans during a protest on a highway at the Delhi-Haryana state border, India, Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020. Tens of thousands of farmers descended upon the borders of New Delhi to protest new farming laws that they say will open them to corporate exploitation. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Manish Swarup
Delta council stands in solidarity with protesting Indian farmers

Farmers have been protesting for months new laws they say leave them open to corporate exploitation

Shana Harris-Morris was killed Feb. 4. (GoFundMe photo)
IHIT says 22-year-old killed in Surrey shooting was ‘unintended victim’

Shana Harris’ family makes appeal for more information

RCMP. (Phil McLachlan - Black Press Media file)
Man charged after pushing pregnant woman to the ground in Surrey, police say

Surrey RCMP say it appeared to be an ‘unprovoked assault’

Restaurant patrons enjoy the weather on a patio in Vancouver, B.C., Monday, April 5, 2021. The province has restricted indoor dining at all restaurants in B.C. due to a spike in COVID-19 numbers. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C.’s COVID-19 indoor dining, drinking ban extending into May

Restaurant association says patio rules to be clarified

In a 2019 photograph, Yin Yin Din held a picture of her brother Kyaw Naing Din, 54, and her late father Hla Din who passed away in 2014, during a trip to Victoria. (The News files)
Family of B.C. man killed by cop appeals to Attorney General for help

The Din family want B.C. Attorney General David Eby to forward their case to Crown

B.C. Premier John Horgan speaks at the B.C. legislature. (B.C. government)
Tougher COVID-19 restrictions in B.C., including travel, still ‘on the table’: Horgan

John Horgan says travel restrictions will be discussed Wednesday by the provincial cabinet

Protesters occupied a road leading to Fairy Creek Watershed near Port Renfrew. (Submitted photo)
B.C. First Nation says logging activist interference not welcome at Fairy Creek

Vancouver Island’s Pacheedaht concerned about increasing polarization over forestry activities

Flow Academy is not accepting membership applications from anybody who has received a dose of the vaccine, according to a password-protected membership application form. (Submitted image)
B.C. martial arts gym refusing patrons who have been vaccinated, wear masks

Interior Health has already issued a ticket to Flow Academy for non-compliance with public health orders

Of 46 arrests made between March 16 and 19 at Metrotown mall in Burnaby, 27 suspected shoplifters are now facing charges. (Twitter/Burnaby RCMP)
RCMP arrest 46 people in 4 days during Metrotown shoplifting crackdown

$4,800 in stolen merchandise was recovered and returned to businesses inside of the mall

Maple Ridge's Doug Ubell caught some photographs recently that he was anxious to share, one taken while on the Trans-Canada Trail looking southwest towards the Pitt River Bridge, and another from on Golden Ears Bridge. (Special to The News)
Traffic on Golden Ears Bridge returning to pre-pandemic levels

Commuters from Greater Vancouver still driving more, taking transit less

Kao Macaulay has been charged in relation to a home break-in on March 30 in Abbotsford in which five kittens were stolen. (Facebook photo)
‘Prolific offender’ charged with theft of 5 newborn kittens in Abbotsford

Kao Macaulay, 23, is accused of breaking into home on March 30

Facebook screenshot of the sea lion on Holberg Road. (Greg Clarke Facebook video)
VIDEO: Sea lion randomly spotted on remote B.C. logging road

Greg Clarke was driving home on the Holberg Road April 12, when he saw a large sea lion.

Most Read