A (very) quick look at some of the news in the community you might have missed. Send your items to email@example.com
- TransLink’s plan to expand transit service – funded by an increase in TransLink property taxes and fares as well as the creation of a new development cost charge – has now gone out for public comment, with an open house happening at Chuck Bailey rec centre today (Oct. 20) from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Queensborough Gin, created by Central City Brewers + Distillers’ Stuart McKinnon, has won gold at the 2016 San Diego Spirits Competition, not long after earning another top medal at the 2016 Spirits International Prestige Awards.
- Admission is free at a Cineplex Community Day event Saturday morning (Oct. 22) at the company’s theatre at Strawberry Hill, with by-donation screenings of four movies – “Zootopia,” “The Finest Hours,” “The Jungle Book” and “The Good Dinosaur” – benefiting the WE organization, starting at 9 a.m.
- The three youth orchestras of Surrey Symphony Society – Junior Strings, Intermediate Orchestra and Surrey Youth Orchestra – will perform during an open house Saturday (Oct. 22) starting at 11 a.m. at Surrey Christian High School, 15353 92nd Ave.
- Recruiting services company Recruiting Social presented a $10,000 donation cheque to the Surrey school district to provide scholarships and skills training to at-risk students.
- Surrey resident Andrew MacBain, owner of Pigeon Patrol, will appear on the TV show “Dragon’s Den” on Wednesday, Oct. 26 to ask for support for his “De-Fence” product, which keeps animals and unwanted intruders out and off of properties.
- Supportive Start, an initiative founded by Surrey’s Sonya Perkins to provide women-in-need with properly fitted bras, recently held a “Bra Day” fit clinic for more than 90 women at Surrey Women’s Centre.
- Breast cancer-awareness jerseys will be worn during the Surrey Beavers’ fifth annual Ruck For a Cure day of rugby action, on Saturday (Oct. 22) at Sullivan Heights Park, with post-game festivities and fundraising happening at the club’s Beaverlodge.
Compiled by staff