Surrey man’s appeal of first-degree murder conviction dismissed

Killed wife in their home in 2008 and attempted to kill himself.

The first-degree murder conviction of a Surrey dad-of-two who stabbed his wife to death in 2008 will stand, after that his appeal was dismissed this week.

The man killed his wife in their home in Fleetwood on Jan. 15, 2008 and then attempted to take his own life, but failed. She was 50 years old and he was 51 at the time. They had two daughters.

There is a publication ban on any information that would identify the victim or witnesses, including the murderer.

At a hearing last month in the B.C. Court of Appeal, it was alleged the trial judge erred in admitting as evidence hearsay statements the deceased woman had made to her daughter, and relied on that evidence in finding the murder was planned in advance.

During the murder trial in 2009, the court heard that the couple’s marriage began deteriorating in 2006. The husband suspected his wife was have an affair and started recording their telephone conversations.

On the day of the murder, he drove their youngest daughter to school and went home, where he had an argument with his wife.

He then got a large knife from a crawl space where he’d hidden it and returned to the bedroom where his wife was laying on the bed. He stabbed her several times, killing her.

The man then went to the bank and got numerous items from a safety deposit box. At home, he spread documents across the kitchen counter, including wills, a mortgage, a document called “the Real Truth” and two letters addressed to his daughters. There were also six CDs of intercepted phone calls between his wife and her male friend.

He picked his daughter up from school and took her to a relative’s house and then went home and ingested a mixture of sleeping pills, alcohol and insecticide. When he didn’t pick up his daughter later, relatives went to the home and found a note on the bedroom door: “Please don’t open this door. Please call police. Call 911. We are both dead inside. I have killed A. and myself.”

The three appeal court justices agreed the evidence during trial of planning and deliberation was “overwhelming.”

There were not only numerous incriminating statements in the documents he left, saying he had warned his wife he would kill her, but his conduct was not impulsive.

His “highly organized activities after the murder demonstrated that he was engaged in carrying out a plan,” wrote Chief Justice Lance Finch in dismissing the appeal.

“Rather, as (the trial judge) found, the actions were manipulative and indicative of an individual in the process of carrying out a plan to kill both his wife and himself.”

First-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance to apply for parole for 25 years.

Just Posted

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

PHOTOS: Surrey designer uses toilet paper to make a dress for annual Toronto show

‘The dress is very experimental and avante garde,’ says Guildford-based Alex S. Yu

Police issue warning after four overdoses in North Delta

Police and emergency health services use naloxone to revive four overdose victims Thursday morning

Surrey reacts to policing plan getting the green light

Former mayor, councillors and residents weigh in on the Public Safety Minister approving the transition

Trudeau vows to stand firm against ‘increasingly assertive’ China

China has accused Canada of meddling in its affairs

Conan turns to the Property Brothers for tips on buying Greenland

Jonathan Scott suggests removing glaciers and mountains to bring in ‘more natural light’

Forests minister visits B.C. town hit by multiple mill shutdowns

A third of Mackenzie turns out for rally, not much to cheer about

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

North Van music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

B.C. man on trial for daughters’ murders says an intruder broke in

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Most Read