A fire that tore through a Newton thrift store on the weekend has left two not-for-profit organizations shy of extra funding.
At about 7:15 p.m. Sunday, four to five teens are believed to have lit a sofa on fire in the back of the Community Thrift Store, at 7138 King George Blvd.
The group of Caucasian 16- and 17-year-olds then fled to the Newton bus exchange at 72 Avenue and King George Boulevard. The fire ripped through the back of the store, damaging much of the donated inventory.
Revenue from the sale of the property goes to the Surrey Hospice Society and the Surrey Firefighters Charitable Society.
Jacqueline Hewitt, executive director for Surrey Hospice Society, said what wasn’t destroyed by fire has been damaged by smoke.
The store was insured, but the outlet will remain closed for about a week.
In the meantime, volunteers with the thrift store are looking for a place sort clothing, and temporarily store some of the inventory.
And when the store opens again, donations will be needed, so Hewitt is asking anyone who can donate to please hold onto the items until the store re-opens.
Those who can help are asked to call 604-599-9930 and ask for Donna or Tracy.
Meanwhile, police are asking for any witnesses to come forward and call the Surrey RCMP non-emergency line at 604-599-0502, or to remain anonymous, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).