TransLink is proceeding with an amended plan to close its fare gates starting April 4.

TransLink to staff closed SkyTrain fare gates

Gate closures, full Compass rules to be in effect by April 8, but one gate to stay open for disabled when staff unavailable

TransLink is sticking to its plan to close all SkyTrain fare gates in early April, but now says it will have nearly all stations staffed most of the time to assist passengers in wheelchairs who can’t tap Compass card readers.

Minister for TransLink Peter Fassbender last week directed TransLink to not close the system entirely until there’s a solution to deal with those severely disabled passengers who have no arm movement.

RELATED: Fix access issue before closing SkyTrain gates, TransLink told

TransLink said in a statement one accessible gate will be left open at stations at times when staff are not present.

A spokesman said the expectation is the vast majority of able-bodied passengers using SkyTrain from 6:30 a.m. through 7 p.m. will face a fully gated system as of April 8.

Passengers are being told they will have to have a valid Compass card or Compass ticket within fare-paid zones starting April 4, when the closures will start being phased in.

Old pre-paid FareSaver tickets will no longer be valid then and someone who gets on through an unstaffed open accessible gate may encounter a closed gate when they try to exit SkyTrain at another station. They’d have to buy a Compass exit ticket from vending machines in the fare-paid zone in order to open the gates.

The extra staffing will be done through the existing budget at no increased cost to TransLink, the spokesman said, but was unable to say if that means sacrificing staff hours to perform other duties.

TransLink is also proceeding with its planned station assistance service where disabled passengers can phone for assistance. Similar assistance is provided to the visually impaired.

Also continuing, officials say, is work towards a better long-term solution for the severely disabled to open fare gates.

Fassbender said he supports TransLink’s revised interim solution to deliver unfettered access.

“I am satisfied that they have met our request that they make sure that the people who have disabilities have access the same as anyone else, and in doing that they’re treated with the respect they deserve as well.”

As for a permanent solution, he noted other transit systems have a mechanism for wheelchair users to trigger the gates using a radio-frequency enabled device, or through an app on their phones.

Just Posted

Stabbing at Surrey banquet hall sends man to hospital

RCMP says victim has ‘non-life threatening’ injuries, incident still under investigation

55-year-old man taken to hospital after fire at Surrey RV park

Firefighters find man suffering from smoke inhalation, burns to face and hands: battalion chief

Slam poetry creates catharsis for North Delta youth

Burnsview Secondary team gearing up for poetry festival and competition in April

South Surrey parking ticket perplexes, frustrates

Theresa Delaney predicts more people will be wrongly ticketed

B.C. students win Great Waters Challenge video contest

Video, mural and song about saving the salmon claims the top prize

B.C. athlete takes home gold in freestyle aerials at Canada Games

Brayden Kuroda won the event with a combined score of 121.65.

Pedestrian in serious condition after hit by car downtown Abbotsford

A youth was also hit, suffered minor injuries, police say

Cabinet likely to extend deadline to reconsider Trans Mountain pipeline

The can’t decide the pipeline’s fate until a new round of consultations with Indigenous communities

B.C. government provides $75,000 towards salmon study

Study looks at abundance and health of Pacific salmon in Gulf of Alaska

Murdered and missing honoured at Stolen Sisters Memorial March in B.C.

‘We come together to make change within the systems in our society’

UBC researchers develop inexpensive tool to test drinking water

The tricoder can test for biological contamination in real-time

Disgraced ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner released from prison

He was convicted of having illicit online contact with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl in 2017

Most Read