Transport Canada agrees to removal of west beach gate

Transport Canada agrees to removal of west beach gate

WHITE ROCK — After a week of public outcry and controversy, Transport Canada will allow the gate at the west beach to be taken down.

South Surrey-White Rock-Cloverdale MP Russ Hiebert confirmed the news Wednesday evening, praising the "speedy resolution to the issue of waterfront access achieved today.

"The gate is coming down," said Hiebert in an email Wednesday. "Transport Canada has agreed to revoke it’s order now that the City of White Rock and BNSF have agreed to some simple safety improvements, such as signs and road paint."

Earlier this week, White Rock Mayor Wayne Baldwin had expressed hope that a resolution could be found after the gates were put up last week following a sudden safety order by Transport Canada.

“We had some discussions with them and I think they recognize that this was maybe a little hastily conceived and brought forward so they have taken a much more reasonable approach,” said Baldwin Monday.

According to the City of White Rock’s Twitter account, the gates will be removed tomorrow (June 19).

More to come…

“We had some discussions with them and I think they recognize that this was maybe a little hastily conceived and brought forward so they have taken a much more reasonable approach,” said Baldwin.

– See more at: http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/white-rock-boat-launch-gates-could-be-down-this-week-1.1131576#sthash.U4TSEfT8.dpuf