File photo White Rock Mayor Wayne Baldwin and Semiahmoo First Nation Chief Harley Chappell exchange views after Chappell presented a cease-and-desist order at the Memorial Park site on Sept. 14.

White Rock’s Memorial Park receives archaelogical permit

Step comes three months after project shut down by SFN cease and desist order

Three months to the day after White Rock’s Memorial Park project stalled, the city announced it received a provincial archaelogical permit.

In an email to media Thursday, city communications manager Farnaz Farrokhi linked to an update statement on the city’s website.

It says the permit follows “three months of consultation” with the Semiahmoo First Nation and the province.

Next step is to carry out an archaelogical impact assessment, which the city “hope(s) to begin shortly.”

The statement says the city will continue to engage and consult with Semiahmoo First Nation regarding archaeological concerns as they relate to Memorial Park “and other capital projects.”

The project was shut down Sept. 14, when Chief Harley Chappell and SFN council members Joanne Charles and Roxanne Charles presented a cease-and-desist order to Mayor Wayne Baldwin at what was to have been an official ground-breaking ceremony at the site, adjacent to the White Rock Museum and Archives.

They said at that time that SFN had not been consulted during the project design process, and that archaelogical protection protocols had not been observed on land that is traditional SFN territory.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

UPDATE: Pedestrian dies after being hit by bus in uptown White Rock

Collision occurred July 3 at North Bluff Road and Johnston Road

Intent of killing at centre of Surrey man’s West Kelowna murder trial

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Allison Beames is anticipated to return with her decision in August

PHOTOS: South Surrey tractor project evokes ‘$1-million smile,’ helps connect neighbours

Retired Surrey firefighter Ron Henze began project for friend’s dad to fill time during pandemic

Surrey man facing charges related to child pornography

Elazar Reshef, 52, has worked in the Delta School District

13 new B.C. COVID-19 cases, Langley Lodge outbreak ends

Health care outbreaks down to four, 162 cases active

Greater Vancouver home sales start to tick up, with prices holding steady

Residential sales last month reached 2,443, a 64.5 per cent jump from May

Langley Lodge’s deadly outbreak declared over

Fraser Health and long-term care home administrator confirm Friday declaration

Alberta health minister orders review into response after noose found in hospital in 2016

A piece of rope tied into a noose was found taped to the door of an operating room at the Grande Prairie Hospital in 2016

B.C.’s major rivers surge, sparking flood warnings

A persistent low pressure system over Alberta has led to several days of heavy rain

B.C.’s Indigenous rights law faces 2020 implementation deadline

Pipeline projects carry on as B.C. works on UN goals

Search continues for person seen floating in Coquihalla River in Hope

Rescuers halted the search Thursday night as darkness fell

‘Mind boggling’: B.C. man $1 million richer after winning Lotto 6/49 a second time

David O’Brien hopes to use his winnings to travel and of course keep playing the lottery

Most Read